Spring Valley’s One and Only: FASU

It is well known that Spring Valley has over 50 clubs instituted within the school, ranging from environmental clubs to debate teams to gaming skills that give so many opportunities for students on campus. Filipino-American Student Union is one of the many clubs whose purpose is to provide education and awareness of different cultures and minority groups to build a tight-knit community. 

Filipino-American Student Union, or better known as FASU, serves students a space to talk about and honor Filipino-American culture and provide educational discussions on news happening globally and occurring in the Philippines. 

“We are a club of change and community,” Co-President Jolina Rose said. 

FASU aims to be a safe space and friendly environment for anyone interested in learning about Filipino-American culture and knowing the existence. The meetings include open conversations about events or news in the origin country, the Philippines, as well as becoming a gathering with the best tasting part, the Pinoy food. 

“[The food] is a way we can all relate to each other…or it even comes as a conversation starter. It makes it easier to talk to each other,” Vice President Kirakay Germise said. 

The topic of food brings a sense of community as the social break from the COVID-19 pandemic has sprawled into the school year with a challenge for many students across the nation. 

“Last year, I remember we had a lot of discussions because it was online…it was easy to talk…the food helps us socialize and come together,” Co-President Reign Echavez said. 

The club also utilizes the known app, Remind, for discussions outside of the regularly scheduled meetings. 

“Every week, I like to focus on direct conversations with the group and being able to incorporate our culture as the conversation…because growing up in America, a lot of us have become estranged from our cultures, so it is nice to be able to talk about what makes us unique as an American,” Rose said. 

With FASU initiating in 2019, the club has undergone less awareness as compared to other minority groups and clubs heavily recognized and advertised in the school, such as SOL (Student Organization of Latinos) or H.E.R (History, Education, Representation). 

“I feel like Filipino-Americans are overshadowed and that not a lot of people know about the existing culture…it is our job to bring recognition,” Rose said. 

Overgoing a year online, development and publicity was damaged for the newly started union as it was transpired into the 2021-2022 school year. Plans have also changed in the startup due to their previous advisor leaving. 

“We are basically starting from scratch again,” Echavez said. 

It is the first real and expected complete school year for the club; the president and co-presidents of the club are currently coordinating with the advisor to develop fundraising ideas and school events for the upcoming semester. 

The club meets bi-monthly on every first and third Friday, and is advised by Coach Aaron Morbioli. As of now, FASU consists of 32 active members, yet students are still able to, and are highly encouraged to join or pop into their meetings. Members do not have to be Filipino or within the Asian descent; anyone is allowed to come aboard. 

“If you like to eat snacks, if you want to meet new friends, if you want to talk about your culture and what makes you different, or if you want to have a safe space…come to our club.” 

For more information on FASU, contact information is provided below: 

Instagram – @spvfasu 

Club advisor – [email protected] 

Vice President – [email protected]

Co-President – [email protected] 

Co-President – [email protected]