COVID Vaccines and Students By All Means.

Photo courtesy of the Wall Street Journal.

Jessica Bui, Copy Editor

COVID-19 vaccines have opened up to 16+ year olds in Nevada on April 5th. 

So far, only Pfizer is available for students in two doses. According to the Southern Nevada Health District, it takes about two weeks after getting completely vaccinated for the body to build protection against the virus that causes COVID-19.

“If I could [get the vaccine], I would be able to go out… safely and keep people safer,” freshman Felipe Dominguez said.

Experts say the vaccines are highly effective against the parts of the coronavirus currently prevailing in the U.S. They’re not 100% effective, but data so far show the protection is strong.

“Getting the vaccine means you are one less person spreading and one step closer to a new beginning,” junior Jennifer Bol said. 

In April 29th, 2021, over two million vaccines have been given out to people, and 27% of residents are fully vaccinated. In the US, over 30% of citizens are fully vaccinated, with over 1.2 million with one dose.

“These people are at risk and if you can do something about it and protect yourself along with others, I don’t see why someone wouldn’t take it,” Dominguez said.’

According to the National Public Radio, one in four Americans refuse to get the vaccine, hurting herd immunity. It would take at least 80% of the population to get fully vaccinated, meaning 262.6 million people need to get the vaccine, compared to the 82 million who still refuse.

“Those who haven’t gotten the vaccine should do everything in their best ability to stay safe,” Bol said. 

Those who haven’t gotten the vaccine should continue to remain following COVID guidelines. As of April 29th, there’s a seven-day average of 379 new coronavirus cases.

“I believe CCSD knows a lot more than I do… If they require a vaccine to enroll [next school year], then so be it,” Bol said. 

CCSD can make certain vaccines required to enroll in a public school. Vaccines like chickenpox (varicella), hepatitis A, hepatitis B, polio are mandatory for students to have if they want to register.

“I think students next year should get vaccinated if they want to go in person,” Dominguez said. “It is a high-contact place and if the availability is there, I don’t see why they shouldn’t be vaccinated.”

On the Grizzly Growler Instagram, 11% of the responses of “Are you getting a vaccine” were not getting one. So far, there have been four confirmed COVID-19 cases at Spring Valley, according to the number of emails sent out regarding it.

“COVID-19 isn’t going to go away,” Bol said. “If there is a chance I can prevent the spread and help… get back to… normalcy…. then I’m going to take that chance.”