Passion and Connectivity: Starting the First Podcast

Jessica Bui, Copy Editor

Produced by freshman Logan Reed, a podcast has started up on campus dedicated to Spring Valley and puts the connectivity back in virtual learning.

The “Official Spring Valley Podcast” was created by Logan Reed and co-podcasted with junior Dorian Reed. An episode comes out every day at 7:30 am, with A Days usually hosted by Logan and B Days hosted by Dorian.

“It was my brother’s idea, he’s always kind of wanted to do something like this for a very long time,” junior Reed said.

Originally, freshman Reed wanted to create a YouTube channel committed to the science behind seasoning but transitioned that idea into a podcast for Spring Valley.

“So me and my brother just kind of sit in my room and we brainstorm ideas on what we can do,” freshman Reed said.

With how they script and come up with ideas for each episode a day, there are times where they go off with what they want or days where they have a system of thinking.

“We do a little bit of research. We don’t make a script or anything it’s on the fly, but I don’t know we kind of just go with a flow,” freshman Reed said.

Some of their more notable episodes are when they interview a person, like Hope Squad member Kyle Kieu.

“I felt honored when they asked me to do an interview with them,” Kieu said.

Within their interview, freshman Reed had asked Kieu questions relating to his goals and eventually onto the ideas of Hope Squad.

“I was making it for fun at one point, but now that I know that people are listening to it and enjoy it. It makes me very happy- and I think that it makes it’s a very positive community,” freshman Reed said.

While there isn’t too much student feedback about the podcast, staff and other faculty members, such as principal Tamathy Larnerd who was interviewed, have given major support.

“I’ve only listened to three podcasts from Spring Valley, but all of them have at least made my day,” Kieu said.

However, with any new thing, there are going to be struggles and obstacles that need to be overcome.

“Well, one of the struggles is actually waking up on time. I have to wake up every day around. I think seven or six,” freshman Reed says.

Waking up early for a class is challenging for most students, let alone getting up to edit, check and upload a podcast every day.

“Our goal is to kind of help [students]… wake up a little but more to make them excited for the rest of the day,” junior Reed said.

Rather than doing it later in the day, their purpose is to make other students feel prepared and inspired for the rest of the school day with a short podcast, with topics ranging from stray material to news.

“Make sure you know exactly what you want to do because if you don’t you’ll run into a lot of walls that I didn’t know even existed,” freshman Reed said.

To those at home who think of trying something new, their passion project, or something for their community, Reed gives his number one priority.

“You’ll grow as a person… if you do the same thing over and over again it’s a gradual reoccurring process and you’ll refine yourself over time,” junior Reed said.

Not being discouraged from attempts that aren’t their best is one of their more important things to keep in mind, as it takes consistent practice to achieve perfection.

“I am really proud of what they’re doing. I’m sure there are those out there who feel the same way as I,” Kieu said.

From the students who do have an opinion, most can agree that it’s helpful for those who want short news that isn’t covered by the media or needs something in their background to listen to.

“I’m very proud of him… I’m proud of him because of how far he’s come, like you know, seeing him grow as a person and seeing him gain like the courage,” junior Reed said.

Waking up early is one of the few disadvantages of making a podcast in the moring.

“I don’t know it’s just this kind of deeper thing where I feel like I’m actually doing something for the Spring Valley community,” freshman Reed said.